Monday, February 21, 2011

My Last Day of {Paid} Work

In November I put in my notice at work.  It was really hard, as I worked hard to get where I was career-wise and I did actually enjoy most of what I did.  Sean and I just felt like the best decision right now for our family is for me to be home (especially with my commute being so long now and also with the new baby coming).  I had agreed that I would continue to work as long as I could drop Ethan off at the bus stop and pick him up - until they found a replacement.  My replacement started at the end of January and  Friday (February 18th) was my last day.  It's very weird to think that I'm not working anymore, I've been working for the past 11 years. 

Top Things I Loved About What I Did/Where I Worked (and What I Will Miss Most):
  • the people I worked with - everyone got along so well and really helped each other out
  • The residents - they taught me so much!  Not just crocheting, history lessons from those who lived through major historical events, but also in small things like not taking things (such as being able to walk unassisted) for granted
  • The sense of accomplishment when an issue was finally resolved (or when an insurance company finally paid after months of them beating around the bush)
  • My lunch bunch <3
Top Things I Will Not Miss:
  • getting yelled at when I was the bearer of bad news to residents/Power of Attorneys that, yes, they really do owe the full amount on their statement, even though yes, I realize it is thousands of dollars.
  • The commute  (although 99.5 and the Kane Show made it a little more bearable)
  • paying $5.30 for a cheese quasadilla and V8 Splash at the Cafe for lunch when I didn't pack one (which was almost everyday for the last three months)
  • Residents passing away
  • Medicaid (need I say more?!)
I have learned so much from working at this company - especially from my last position there - the Business Office Manager.  I now know more than I ever wanted to regarding Medicare (what it covers/doesn't, etc), Long Term Care Inusurance, health insurance coverage for skilled nursing, and so much more.  The company was a wonderful one to work for and I definitely recommend it to anyone. 

Yes, I will miss that place.

Part of the Gang.. 
Berwick, Natalie (who is taking over my position), Mariah, Michell,
Dana, Holly H., Jacopo
(Berwick, Michell, Dana, Jacopo and I were all in finance - Mariah and Holly
were in RG Admissions)

No comments:

Post a Comment