Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Encounter with a Homeless Man

Yesterday I was sitting at a red light at a busy intersection and saw a man with a sign that said "Homeless and Hungry."  I always feel bad when I see homeless people.  I looked down in a little compartment where I keep extra change and random dollar bills and rolled down my window.  He came over and thanked me profusely for the money I handed over (which wasn't much-I gave Ethan the rest of the cash I had in the morning for lunch money).  He walked back to his "spot," and as I drove by when the light turned green, he gave me a huge smile and waved-like I had just given him $100 or something.  Throughout the rest of the day, I couldn't stop thinking about this man.  Where is he from?  Where did he grow up?  What school did he go to?  Does he have any kids?  What occupation did he have before he found himself in his current situation?  Where was he during the thunderstorm we had last night?  Maybe it is my hormones and emotions that are all over the place, or the fact that I'm not constantly running around trying to get a million things done anymore, but I often wonder these things when I see people who find themselves in these situations.

Ironically enough, as I was reading Ethan his bedtime story (Whose the GREATEST Hero: Jesus Christ - an awesome book for kids!), it starting raining really hard with thunder and lightning.  Ethan stopped me and said, "I wonder what the homeless people are doing right now?"  I was completely caught off guard - he was at school when I had my small encounter with the homeless man and I hadn't said anything to him about it.  I told him that they probably found a safe place to stay warm and dry and that we should pray for them.  He immediately crossed his arms, bowed his head, and said the sweetest prayer for the homeless people!

I am so incredibly grateful for all of our blessings.  No, we do not live in a mansion, nor do we drive cars that are thousands and thousands of dollars, but we have a wonderful home that is perfect for us, cars that get us where we need to go, food on the table, and good health.  Yes, I am so grateful for ALL Heavenly Father has blessed us with.

Anyway, I hope that I can be a good example to Ethan (and our baby on-the-way - and any other kids we may have) to always help those who are less fortunate-to give what we can, even if it means we have to sacrifice for them.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful son and a wonderful mother you are!!!! It's not about homeless people but Emma came home from school and told me how she went and sat by a girl who looked lonely at the 'peanut free table'. She said she had to throw away her current lunch and went and bought another lunch so she could sit by her. She was apologetic that she threw away her first lunch but I told her it was fine since she did something so nice and kind. I'm not a great example and I have no clue where she learned that, but I am glad she is kind. Ethan is a kind hearted person and so are you. Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete