Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spring Break 2013

Ethan's spring break was in April this year and we drove to Virginia to spend time with our family and friends.  It was bittersweet - so great to see everyone, but also, my grandma's health drastically declined the Thursday before we arrived (it is believed she had a heart attack).  I was able to see her on Tuesday and say my goodbyes to her - it was so hard seeing her like that, but I honestly think he knew I was there and heard what I said.  She passed away peacefully Wednesday morning at 10:10AM.  I am so grateful that I was able to say my goodbyes and be with my family during that difficult time.

Aside from mourning my grandma's passing, we were able to see our friends and family.  It was so great seeing everyone!!  I was even able to get together with some of my 'mom friends' - it was so fun watching Owen interact with his friends and to catch up.  Meg and I were even able to sneak off and get pedicures, and Jill and I were able to get manicures and have dinner at a new yummy Thai restaurant.  We were able to see Aubrey (and her cute baby-bump!), and Sean caught up with Jennie and her kiddos in Richmond on Tuesday.  On Friday Sean and I took Owen and Ben to the National Zoo - I think Owen's favorite was the elephant! :)   (Ethan spent the day with Dave)

After trying to figure out the logistics of everything, we decided to come home Saturday night and therefore, miss Grandma's funeral that was held the following Wednesday.  Boy, was it hard not being there!  I thought about her all day, and after Ethan got home from school, we decorated balloons with notes to her and sent them up to heaven.  It provided a little bit of closure...  Also, my parents let me decide what I wanted inscribed on her headstone.  She is buried with my grandpa in Quantico so I had a list of about 20 different choices.  I picked "Beloved wife, mother, and grandma."  I think it suited her best out of all of the options and I think she would approve of it:)  It really meant a lot to me that my parents let me do that. 

Pictures to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment