On Sunday, we caught a ride with our neighbors (who have an Expedition) to go to the grocery store and get some movies from Red Box. There was virtually no meat left and the cereal aisle was pretty scarce. I heard that it was much worse before the storm, but it was still kind of earie seeing how empty some of the shelves were. Thousands of people in Northern Virginia and Maryland (including my aunt and uncle who live in Clifton-about 20 minutes away) lost power. Luckily we have kept our power the entire time, with it just flickering a little bit. Yesterday co-workers came and picked me up so I could go to work. The roads were still so bad! The parkway (which is a major road) was horrible. It was one lane each way and we saw two of the big snow plow trucks stuck in the snow (not very comforting!). There were even CATs and front loaders on the roads trying to clear them of snow. Most of the roads, though, have about 2 inches of ice (it was snow that is packed down so much by cars driving on it that it turned into ice) on them, making it all the more difficult to drive on.
Today my co-workers kindly gave me a ride into work again and we weren't in the car for 10 minutes when we drove past a Jeep Liberty flipped over on the parkway. It must have happened 5 minutes before we went by, but luckily the driver was out of the car and on his cell phone when we drove by. There are snow banks that are at least as tall as I am, if not taller. We left work at 2:30 today-the weathermen said that we are supposed to get anywhere from 10-20 inches today through tomorrow evening. They are right again-it is snowing as I'm typing this. Well, at least we are breaking some records!! With the snow storm that we got over the weekend alone, we broke the record for the most snow since Dulles International Airport has started keeping record in the 1960s. I just wonder where they are going to put all of this snow that they are plowing out of the roads-there is simply nowhere else to put it.
Ethan and I have been staying at Mom and Dave's since Friday. Their house is bigger and there is a big field in front for Ethan to play and a hill on the side of their house to go sledding on. On Sunday we ventured to my apartment to get more clothes and the parking lot there is a complete disaster. It doesn't even really look like it has been plowed and there is absolutely no where to park. So, needless to say, we will be camped out here until some of this snow melts (and if it ever stops snowing!). I heard that we are supposed to get even more snow next week. Boy, do I really hope that we aren't. Don't get me wrong, snow is nice, but not over 5 feet of it. If I wanted that much, I would move to Vermont. But Florida right now is looking like a wonderful, warm place:) I prefer an inch or two of snow-just enough to cover the trees and be pretty, and doesn't completely shut down the city!
I have taken some pictures which I will post soon so everyone can see some of the snow-craziness. It's truly hard to imagine without seeing it. There are literally little pathways lined with feet of snow on either side along sidewalks (if they are even shoveled at all).
Keep praying that our electricity doesn't go out and that it will stop snowing!!





No comments:
Post a Comment