Monday, March 15, 2010

Recipes Update

So I am going to continue to post the "keeper" recipes on here-not only for others (if anyone else actually reads my blog) to also try and enjoy, but so that I won't forget about them or lose the recipes. :)

So here are the latest ones that I've tried that turned out good:

Garlic Chicken 'n' Gravy
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspooon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
5 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped (I didn't have any, so I just used garlic powder)
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons chicken broth, divided
1/2 cup white wine or additional broth -- I used the additional broth, obviously:)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken and garlic in butter over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until browned. Add 1/2 cup broth, wine or addtional broth, basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.

Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and keep warm. In a small bowl, combine flour and remaining broth until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over chicken.

Linguine with Garlic Sauce
12 ounces uncooked linguine
1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced (I used my food processor so that the pieces were smaller)
5 cups fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1-1/4 cups milk
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

Cook linguine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. (I had made the bacon beforehand, so I used 1 tablespoon of canola oil instead of the bacon grease).

In the drippings (or canola oil), saute the spinach, onion and garlic until tender. Add the milk, cream cheese, butter, salt, nutmeg and pepper; stir until smooth. Stir in pine nuts and bacon; heat through. Drain pasta; toss with sauce.

Black Bean Taco Salad
1 pound ground beef
4 cups torn leaf lettuce
1 large tomato, chopped
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup catalina salad dressing
4 cups nacho cheese tortilla chips

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink drain. IN a large bowl, combine the lettuce, tomato, beans and beff. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Arrange tortilla chips on a serving plate; top with beef mixture.

**this one needs some more pizzaz next time. We added sour cream, cheese and tried it with dorritos and tostito chips - it was ok. Maybe next time add alvacado and some other things, but it was ok, and Ethan liked it and it was incredibly easy.

So there you have it! I have lost track-I don't know if I'm hitting my New Years Resolution of making 3 new recipes a month, but at least there is a conscious effort to expand my cooking abilities AND there haven't been any (yet!) that have been absolutely disgusting:)

No comments:

Post a Comment