Thursday, April 8, 2010

If Pictures Could Talk

Here is Ethan's Spring picture that was taken at his elementary school about a month and a half ago:
You would never know the adventure of a morning we had that morning-all over his shirt. You see, Ethan HATES buttons. If any article of clothing has a button on it, he refuses to wear it (except for on Sundays-he knows there is no use in putting up a fight over his church outfit). Not even a polo shirt-that has 2-3 buttons, or a pair of pants that have a button closure instead of a snap, or even a pair of pants that have a button in the back pocket (like on khakis). Well, it was picture day and I insisted that he wear a polo shirt for his picture. I warned him the night before, and in the morning, he put it on-complaining the entire time. The complaining escalated to a full-on temper tantrum (I tried taking a video of it because I think in about 10 years he may actually find the humor in it but it didn't come out that great). In the midst of the tantrum, he got tooth paste on it. OH, but I was prepared for a situation like this! So I quickly grabbed another polo shirt (much to his disappointment). We left and when I dropped him off at daycare, he loudly announced that he was going to wear his jacket ALL DAY.
A couple hours later his kindergarten teacher emailed me about his scholastic book order-in my response, I mentioned that he wasn't happy about the buttons on his shirt. Her response:
"The first thing he said when he came in the room was that he was only taking his coat off today for pictures. :) My sons were the same way - only wearing "church shirts" when forced to. We talked and I pointed out the nice shirts that other boys were wearing also. He seems to have gotten over it and has taken off his coat. Mothers!...."
I was so happy yesterday when we got the pictures back and saw that not only was he not wearing his jacket, but that he was smiling and looked so handsome!! I look forward to the day (many years from now!) when I get to tell him and his own children about the story behind this cute picture!!

1 comment:

  1. That's a great story and I'm sure every kid has at least one! :) Glad the picture turned out soo cute! :)

    ReplyDelete