So I know this sounds lame, but the shelf where I kept my spices has really been driving me crazy. The spice containers were all crammed with other cooking/baking stuff, stacked on top of each other, and whenever I needed one, it tended to be at the bottom in the back and I would always knock all of the others over in the process of getting the one I needed. I looked online for a spice rack and I didn't really see any that I liked enough to buy (spice racks are surprisingly expensive! Well, at least they are more money then I want to spend on one) and the ones I did like would not fit into the small space where I wanted to put it and you had to empty the spices in small magnetic containers (which are an additional cost and I would run into the dilemma of where I should store my extra containers, etc). I saw one and it gave me an idea of making my own and altering it to make it work for my needs. I immediately went to Lowes on a mission to get the needed supplies! Long story short and three stores later, I couldn't find the main supply item that I needed to make my idea into reality (a piece of magnet about 6 inches wide and 2 feet long-I was going to use it as the backboard and then add a small piece of magnet to the back of each spice container).
What's the next best thing aside from Magnets? Velcro! (Thanks, Mom!). So here is my "idea turned into reality" for my spice rack:
It cost about $35 (just the cost of the velcro and the hooks). I used cardboard that I had from one of Ethan's school projects and modge-podged it with scrapbooking paper, stickers, and ribbon that I had. Then I added rows of 1" thick velcro. Afterward, I added a small peice of velcro to the back of the lids of each spice container and used stickers to write "Got Spice?" at the top of one of the boards, and typed out "'by small and simple things are great things brough to pass.' Alma 37:6" on the top of the other board. (I ended up having to make 2 columns of "boards" - with each column having 3 boards - so I would have enough space to add more spices as I buy more, but at least they are off of my small cramped shelves and I will always quickly and easily know which spices I own!)
This is what inspired me to make this...
Below each of these are 2 more boards to add spices to... I have three boards full of spices already, and three more that are empty, ready for when I need to buy any I don't already have:) They are hanging inside of my pantry, between the door frame and the shelves-completely out of my way!
No comments:
Post a Comment